Chinese personal computer maker Lenovo on Wednesday quashed market speculation it was interested in buying struggling Finnish cellphone maker Nokia.
"This must be a joke," Gianfranco Lanci, who runs Lenovo's operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa told Reuters. "There's nothing ongoing."
Shares in Nokia earlier rose up to 17 percent in heavy volumes on market talk that Lenovo may be interested in
Nokia, but gave up most of the gains after Lanci's comments.
Fujitsu Ltd, NTT Docomo Inc and NEC Corp launched a new company on Wednesday to manufacture smartphone chips as Japanese firms attempt to cut their reliance on foreign-made mobile chips.
The venture pits the Japanese companies against Qualcomm Inc, the world's largest mobile chip manufacturer and leading supplier of core microchips used in fast-selling smartphones and tablets.
Fujitsu will own 52.8 percent of Access Network Technology Ltd, which it previously planned to set up on its own.
A round-up of the most important results announcements over the past few days.
Latin American heavyweight América Móvil reported a 45% year-on-year fall in net profit to 13.3 billion pesos (US$1 billion), despite a 9.3% increase in revenues to 191.7 billion pesos. The decline was partly down to the weakness of local currencies, which also drove up the cost of handset subsidies. América Móvil says that with more customers opting for smartphones it is seeing pressure on its margins.
du, the number two operator in the United Arab Emirates, has said it will focus on profitability and worry less about market share, after reporting second-quarter results earlier this week.
The operator reported an impressive 57.1% increase in net income, year on year, to 651 million dirhams ($177 million), but noted a slight fall in its mobile market share, to 46.5%, due to renewed competition from rival Etisalat.
KT Corp., South Korea's No. 2 wireless service provider, apologized on Sunday after personal data of millions of mobile phone subscribers was hacked.
It is the latest in a string of large-scale personal information hacking cases in one of the world's most wired countries.
Police said two computer programmers had been arrested for hacking personal data of about 8.7 million KT subscribers. KT claims a mobile service subscription membership of 16 million.
Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd take their battle for mobile supremacy to court on Monday in one of the biggest-ever technology patent trials, a case with the potential to reshape a fast-evolving market they now dominate.
AT&T’s board of directors today authorized a share buyback of up to 300 million additional shares.
The amount of shares represents about 5% of its outstanding stock and would be worth some $11.1 billion according to Friday’s closing price.
“This action allows us to continue returning cash to our shareholders through dividends and buybacks while maintaining a strong balance sheet and investing in the future of our business,” said Randall Stephenson, AT&T’s chairman and chief executive.
French telecoms incumbent France Telecom has managed to slow its loss of mobile-phone customers, many of whom were believed to be defecting to new rival Iliad.
France Telecom lost a staggering 615,000 customers in the first quarter of the year, when Iliad first entered the market, but customer losses for the second quarter were a less troubling 155,000.
Iliad has an established fixed broadband operation in France but won a licence to provide mobile-phone services in 2009, finally launching earlier this year.
Apple Inc results fell short of Wall Street's lofty expectations as a sagging European economy and a pause in iPhone sales ahead of a new version saw revenues slip from the previous quarter.
Shares fell more than 5 percent to $570.81 in late trade after the world's most valuable technology company - which beats expectations with near regularity - reported its second quarterly miss in less than a year.
Apple's suppliers also felt the pain. Shares of LG Display, Toshiba and Hon Hai sank between 5 and 7 percent.
Most European countries have already awarded operators the spectrum they need to provide 4G services, but in the UK an auction has been repeatedly held up by disputes between the various stakeholders. In its auction plan published this week, Ofcom, the UK’s communications regulator, says it expects the process to begin by the end of the year, with bidding to start in early 2013. But a legal challenge that delays it would surprise no one.