Telecom Italia said on Monday it had not received any information from U.S. money manager BlackRock regarding an increase in its stake in the Italian telecoms group to 10.14 percent, as shown by U.S. regulatory filings.
A stake of 10.1 percent would make BlackRock (New York City, NY, USA) the second biggest shareholder in Telecom Italia (Milan, Italy) after holding company Telco, and give it a potentially pivotal role at a shareholder vote on Friday on whether to oust the board of the company.
The premier regional conference for key leadership from telecom and media companies, investment banks, investors, financiers and professional and legal advisers across Asia.
The board of Telecom Italia is not considering any plan to break up the company's Brazilian wireless unit TIM Participacoes, CEO Marco Patuano said on Tuesday.
"The board is not studying any break-up of TIM Brasil (Rio de Janeiro). I will never grow tired of repeating that it is for us a strategic company," he said on the sidelines of an event.
A government source in Brazil said on Monday the country's antitrust watchdog had not ruled out a possible break-up of TIM Brasil into units to be bought by local rivals.
Indian operators Bharti Airtel and Reliance Jio Infocomm have announced a network-sharing plan aimed at avoiding “duplication of infrastructure” and lowering costs.
The companies said they would share inter- and intra-city fiber-optic networks, submarine cable networks, towers, internet broadband services and other technologies that might emerge in future.
Besides avoiding duplication and freeing up capital for other projects, the operators said that comprehensive network sharing would help to “preserve the environment”.
Set to launch a ‘gigabit’ fiber-based service in Austin, Texas this week, US telecoms giant AT&T is reportedly considering plans to extend the deployment of super-fast broadband services to other cities in the country.
According to a report from the UK’s Financial Times newspaper, Randall Stephenson, the operator’s chief executive, told attendees at an investor conference in New York that he saw “lots of other opportunities around the country … for Austin-type projects”.
The court-appointed monitor for struggling Canadian wireless startup Mobilicity has extended the deadline for suitors to bid for the company by a week to December 16, a regulatory filing shows.
Bidders for the Toronto-based startup, which filed for court protection from its creditors earlier this year, now have until noon next Monday to submit their offers in the court-supervised auction, according to a document posted on the website of monitor Ernst & Young Inc.
Ernst & Young said it extended the deadline following requests from several bidders.
An Indian court will issue on Thursday its verdict on Nokia's appeal against the seizure by tax authorities of its local factory after a tax dispute, lawyers for the company and the tax department said on Wednesday.
The Chennai factory is one of Nokia's (Helsinki, Finland) biggest phone-making plants.
Nokia has been trying to end the dispute ahead of the sale of its mobile phone business to Microsoft (Seattle, WA, USA) in a 5.4 billion euros ($7.4 billion) deal.
(Reporting by Nigam Prusty; Writing by Sumeet Chatterjee; Editing by Miral Fahmy)
Hong Kong authorities have denied that plans to re-auction some of the 3G frequencies currently in use will cause disruption and lead to higher prices for the country’s 3G users.
Frequencies in the 2.1GHz band are due to expire in October 2016, but under a so-called “hybrid approach” regulators plan to re-auction just a third of these frequencies, which – it insists – represents just 7–10% of the overall spectrum held by the incumbent operators.
France’s Bouygues Telecom has responded to pricing pressure from rival Iliad by saying that its 4G services will be available to existing customers at no extra cost.
The announcement comes just days after Iliad (Paris, France) upped the competitive stakes by publishing details of new low-cost 4G services, revealing that customers would be able to make use of the super-fast technology for as little €19.99 ($27.15) a month.
Existing Bouygues (Paris, France) subscribers will be able to use 4G services without signing up to a new minimum term contract, says the operator.
Some 244 operators in 92 countries have now launched commercial 4G services based on the LTE standard, according to the latest research update from the Global mobile Suppliers Association (GSA).
The technology appears to have gathered real momentum this year, which has seen a total of 93 networks launched commercially, according to the GSA.
The organization, which represents the interests of mobile suppliers globally, expects another 16 networks to be commercially deployed by the end of the year.