Verizon Wireless will not pay annual dividend to Vodafone

Reuters

Verizon Communications (New York) has dashed the hopes of Vodafone (London, England) investors by ruling out a return to a recurring dividend from the two companies' mobile phone joint venture, called Verizon Wireless, the Financial Times reported on Monday.

In an interview with the newspaper on Monday, Lowell McAdam, new CEO of Verizon Communications, said it was not possible to have a policy of annual dividend payment by Verizon Wireless because the leading U.S. mobile operator may need to buy rival businesses or purchase radio spectrum.

McAdam said Verizon Communications, the U.S. telecom company, and Vodafone, the UK mobile group, were working closely together on several other unspecified projects.

He also told the Financial Times that it would be wrong to rule out the possibility of Verizon Communications and Vodafone merging in the future, although he suggested it would not happen in the short to medium term.

Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon Wireless, while Verizon Communications owns the remaining 55%.  Vodafone has not received a dividend from the asset since 2005 because Verizon has focused instead on paying down debt.

Verizon Chief Executive Ivan Seidenberg said at the end of last year that he did not plan to consider a Verizon Wireless dividend until the end of 2011.

 (Reporting by Stephen Mangan; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)

Related Articles

Telefonica O2, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone plan mobile payments company

Vodafone launches R&D Center in Silicon Valley

Vodafone sees $5.5 billion dividend from Verizon

Vodafone sells stake in India to suit ownership rules

 

ArticleTools

Featured Reports

Understanding and Capitalizing Upon Telecom APIs for Communications Enabled Applications
Big Data and Analytics software and applications will play a crucial role in making IoT a success. The data generated through sensors embedded in various things/objects will generate massive amounts of unstructured (big) data on real-time basis that holds the promise for intelligence and insights for dramatically improved decision processes.

Content Delivery Networks (CDN) 2015
Content Delivery Networks (CDN) represent large distributed system of servers deployed in multiple data centers across the Internet. CDNs provide solutions for efficiently and effectively managing content of all types. Solutions include core services such as aggregation, management, and distribution of content as well as a variety of value-added functionality.

Technologies Impacting and Impacted by Operational Support Systems (OSS)
There are significant changes underway in the CSP industry that are causing fundamental re-evaluations of business models, technology stacks and service offerings. This research assesses a range of relatively nascent technologies that have the potential to change the dynamic of OSS, whether via the networks they manage, or as building blocks on which to build better OSS tools.

Market Opportunity: Big Data in the Internet of Things
Big Data and Analytics software and applications will play a crucial role in making IoT a success. The data generated through sensors embedded in various things/objects will generate massive amounts of unstructured (big) data on real-time basis that holds the promise for intelligence and insights for dramatically improved decision processes.

Concise, Practical Market Reports on Big Data, IoT, CDN & More!
Access the exclusive new series of market research reports brought to you through the partnership of Mind Commerce research and TelecomEngine.com.
Browse the latest titles

 

 

Featured Events & Partners

GEN 15
Nov. 16-19, 2015

Omni Hotel, Dallas, Texas

The global gathering of networking professionals enabling the future of agile, assured and orchestrated services powered by CE 2.0, LSO (Lifecycle Service Orchestration), SDN and NFV.

Visit event website...
 

 

Business Wire